Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Google on World Domination (or at least internet domination)

Don't be evil. You have to love that informal corporate motto.
Putting out amazing products for free is definitely not evil.

First they had the Google search, and it was good (really good).

Afterwards there is Gmail, Gmail starts with it's unheard of 1G of e-mail storage.
Now at 2.692 GB and climbing.
Of course everyone reading already has a Gmail account.

Then Picasa and Hello, (acquired by Google I think), the best photo software ever.
Also there is Blogger.com (Google owns blogger, I am sure you knew)

They also have Google talk, that seems to be a little slow in catching on. I think MSN messenger is too dominant in the IM world to be that easily overthrown.
Today I noticed my Gmail account will keep a historical record of your audio conversations through Google talk, and soon will allow voice chat from the Gmail page!!?

Yesterday I found Google Reader, I was at home looking for a sufficient windoze alternative to akregator, (below) I found a free shareware one, but it didn't quite cut it, it did what I wanted but the program itself was a large step down from what I am used to. Then for some reason I happen by the official Blogger Buzz, and they have an article that links to a feed reader.
Google feed reader (Beta),!!

This program does almost everything I am looking for. I will have to live without the ability to get an atom feed from my Gmail account, and the ability to get notifications on new articles, just to have that cool web interface, and the ability for it to track my read articles wherever I go.

It beats reading through 8+ blogs +Slashdot to see who has new content.
(FYI, If your trying it out Palmer's feed is busted, you have to browse to the page the old fashioned way.)
Now I am looking at the Google Labs, and Google Services/Tools.
Google Suggest looks cool...

Hmm, this originally was a post about just about the Google feed reader.... it got a little carried away.

6 Comments:

At 2/07/2006 2:08 PM, Blogger James said...

so did you buy shares yet?

I personally think google earth is the shit.

 
At 2/07/2006 2:52 PM, Blogger Palmer said...

I looked into getting shares at one point...

But Dad always said to buy low, win high.

Buying high just doesn't cut it.

 
At 2/07/2006 3:08 PM, Blogger AquariusDragon said...

Google even has a cool name!

 
At 2/07/2006 3:12 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Google needs an Ottawa/Kanata office.

 
At 2/07/2006 3:17 PM, Blogger James said...

I'd work there as ap supervisor.

 
At 2/07/2006 5:47 PM, Blogger iBenoit said...

I love all the R and D they have on the go...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home