Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Fighting the temptation to upgrade to a Video iPod

Almost 3 months after I got my iPod, Apple came out with the Video iPod...

So 3 months after I bought my iPod I have been fighting the urge to upgrade.
Being able to bring around my mythtv episodes on my iPod to watch at my leisure was very very (very very) tempting... I just bought the iPod though... Am I prepared to sell it so soon after buying it?

My best method for fighting this urge was to forget about it, if I am not thinking about it I won't be tempted to act on it.

Today I read a very interesting article on slashdot, re. FREE Stanford University lectures on iTunes.
From what I read, Stanford is all about educating the Public, and is working with Apple to get their lectures onto iTunes store for free, you only need the time to download. If Stanford has any interesting computer or other misc lectures. This will put another big argument towards upgrading..
.... now I am thinking about it again. Looking at the price ... damn you slashdot...

If I buy an iPod now though, they will probably come out with the iPod w/ 15" collapsible video screen in 3 months.... decisions decisions...

Anyone want to buy a 60G color iPod, immaculate condition, lovingly cared for, with full protective iSkin Glow in the dark case? iPod was well used, and the owner is well versed on how to keep lithium ion batteries functioning to their full potential (drain battery at least once a month).

6 Comments:

At 1/25/2006 3:31 PM, Blogger James said...

I would love to, but it's not really a necessity at the moment.

And as soon as I had it, I would feel like you in that I wanted a video one.

 
At 1/25/2006 10:29 PM, Blogger iBenoit said...

My advice. Patience.

Wait for a generation 2 Video Ipod.

Also, this year will see a plethora (wow, gotta use that word once a year) of portable video players... and most likely with an easier way to drop vid files of all formats on it.

 
At 1/26/2006 8:50 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

Hey...this reminds of...

THE EXACT SAME BLOG ENTRY I WROTE!

Ha ha...that's funny. Yes...technology...both the bane and love of our lives.

I'm with Benoit. Hold out.

Question: When would you have the time to watch videos on the iPod? Do you take the bus to work or drive your car? As far as I thought, you drove your car. Anyhow, it's a valid question that I asked myself about the viPod. If I couldn't watch videos as much as I thought I could, why bother paying for it?

 
At 1/26/2006 1:43 PM, Blogger iBenoit said...

Ryan, I would actually find time to watch something like this.

Remember some of these players plug into TVs.. You go to a friend's place and can show him/her a show.

her is an idea: A portable PVR gizmo...

 
At 1/27/2006 9:02 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

Interesting concept. I stand in awe of your awesomeness.

 
At 1/27/2006 9:28 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Dispite Joe's comments, I am reluctantly continuing to hold.

Unless I get a good offer on my iPod.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home