Friday, January 27, 2006

Akregator News Feed Reader

The last day and half I have been playing around with a news feed reader.
Akregator

This is a FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) program that runs on ... Linux.
Every time you update your blog on blogger.com, blogger updates an atom (RSS like) feed like this.

http://rochman.blogspot.com/atom.xml
(this feed will show up on firefox, I have no idea what IE will show)

AtomEnabled describes an Atom feed better than I can,
"Atom is a simple way to read and write information on the web, allowing you to easily keep track of more sites in less time, and to seamlessly share your words and ideas by publishing to the web."

That being said, Akregator is pretty simple, to use
- reads rss(just slashdot for now) and atom (blogger.com) feeds.
- it indicates to me when there are new unread articles (like e-mail)
- it sits hidden away in my system tray until needed.
- it allows me to organize all my feeds in a folder structure, and read all the feeds under that structure (ex. all blog posts) , or just read all feeds.
- it neatly shows me how many unread articles their are in the system tray.

I am sure there must be similar windoze news readers out there. Anyone know of any?

5 Comments:

At 1/27/2006 11:03 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

Doesn't Firefox have a built in RSS feeder such as this? I haven't used it, but it's there.

 
At 1/27/2006 11:10 AM, Blogger Matt said...

you can browse to the RSS feeds, or toss them in as a bookmark,
I dont know of (I also have not looked for) any way to get it to indicate unread articles. Or prompt you when new articles are posted.

 
At 1/27/2006 1:32 PM, Blogger Ferda said...

I always leave this blog in a confused state

 
At 1/27/2006 1:32 PM, Blogger Matt said...

lol, too technical?

 
At 1/27/2006 4:10 PM, Blogger James said...

ha! Sounds like a cool idea. I'm always wasting time clicking on everyone's blogs to see if there is new content.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home