Monday, October 17, 2005

A day in the life of Shannon

My phone started ringing at 5:45 this morning, making me panic that I'd slept through my sister's birthday brunch. However, it was only my friend Sarah calling from Toronto completely wasted, just getting home with her two “new friends” Nick and Matt (not the Matt you may all know and love, or hate, but another one). I answer groggily “hello”and get greeted with a party on the phone. Next thing I know I’m engaged in a rousing game of virtual Rock, Paper, Scissors with Sarah and Matt until we realize that no one really wins when you play with three people. It’s like games for the learning impaired.


I then toss and turn for a couple of hours, paranoid that now I’m definitely going to sleep through brunch, and eventually drag myself up to get ready. My sister turned 33 this weekend, and her husband decided this would be the opportune time to suck up and have a birthday brunch in her honour. So he invites a small gaggle of family along, as a surprise. Among the guest list, aside from myself, are my mother and her husband as well as my dad and his girlfriend (*brilliant* move for a relaxed and completely unawkward brunch, by the way).


Brunch was good, although the waffles were cold. It was really early when we got there, there was only one couple there other than my odd family, until we were just about finishing up. Then this rather loud group descended upon us, and kicked things up a notch. I notice some of them, but don’t take a look at all of them, as they are coming to and fro like unherded sheep from the buffet to the table at will.


I’m sitting between my dad and my nephew, downing coffee by the gallon, when I hear a voice that sounds oddly familiar, in an unfamiliar way. Like when I watch a movie almost the whole way through thinking that I’m psychic and know what’s going to happen next...only to realize in the last half hour that I have already seen it...


Anyway, the date went really bad...”


I look up, and yep, there’s Matt. Entertaining the masses with stories of his sordid love life. I don’t know what to do so early and sober in the morning, so rather than be brave and walk over and whisper in his ear that I would like to borrow the ketchup off his table just to see the look on his face I duck my head to my right, covering my left cheek with my hand. My dad asks what’s wrong and I have to tell him I’m not feeling well. As we were leaving I found my courage and tried several times to make eye contact with Matt, but he was either a) evading my stare, or b) enjoying his cold waffles a little more than I did mine.


Conclusion: Ottawa is entirely too small to have both a family and a dating life.

8 Comments:

At 10/17/2005 12:17 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Ah, I can not believe this happened!!

I first have to say that the “Anyway, the date went really bad...” comment was not about Shannon. (whew, thank god the girl I was talking about wasn't in her place... man)

Palmer I am sure you will be quick to note that this goes against my blogging views, but I will add quickly that this is not really my post.

After talking to Shannon about the crazy coincidence (sp?) I had to ask Shannon to write my next post. Much better to hear the story first hand.

 
At 10/17/2005 8:40 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

So...Shannon was at brunch and didn't bother saying hello?

Nice. Now you know what type of friend you are to him Matt!

That's a friend testing question right there if I've ever heard one:

"If you're at brunch with your family, and you see a friend you know, do you

a) Duck away
b) Yell out some obscenity to him
c) Spill water on him

 
At 10/17/2005 8:45 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

HEY! Was your comment at the Brunch geared towards the one on the day that we are going to do something with everyone else (Please note I've left this very ambiguous in case person in question stumbles upon your blog)

Anyhow, if it was, let this be a lesson. Never give up a kickass event for a person you don't even really know. ;-P Because this event had free beer. And video game booths. And hot ladies giving massages. If you don't believe me, ask people who were there. There were seriously all these booths set up at the place which made it kickass.

 
At 10/17/2005 9:07 AM, Blogger Matt said...

rofl,
This is not Mr. Shannon Gramann

I am curious if anyone will understand without explanation.

 
At 10/17/2005 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL

Yep Ottawa is definitely way too small!

I understood your story Matt no worries.

The funniest part is that we were the loudest people there and I was encouraging Matt to talk about his date: "This isnt your blog, you can talk about it now."

hahahaha so much for that!

 
At 10/17/2005 12:00 PM, Blogger Palmer said...

Hmm...so Shannon is a girl that's not Shannon Gramann?

I see I see.

Makes it a little more easier to understand now.

I still stand by my friendship test though.

Or the Tenacious D friendship test. That's a good one. Duncan failed that one miserably.

 
At 10/17/2005 3:16 PM, Blogger Matt said...

So... Duncan loves you?

 
At 10/17/2005 6:31 PM, Blogger Palmer said...

Yes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home