Monday, October 10, 2005

First E-bay purchase..... damn e-bay.

No no no no no no,
If you are selling two things on e-bay, and they require each other to function, you should not sell them separately.

I have been thinking for awhile about playing the piano, I don't know where the idea came from.
But, last week I found out Melissa plays the piano, and is willing to teach me.
So I log onto e-bay to look for a "weighted" electronic keyboard, which has been suggested to me.

And I find a weighted midi keyboard, and a synthesizer module that generates the sound.
But the same seller is selling these two items separately?
I figure, hey no problem, I just put my max bid up on this one up to about here. And this one up to about here, And keep my eye on them, should be ok.

Unfortunately, I have a floor hockey game as the auction is ending, so Murphy's law, I lose the keyboard during the last 5 minutes, but win the sythesis module... greeeat.

First thing I think, do I want to just tell this guy "I don't want this thing, it is your fault for putting the auctions up separately".... no I think e-bay really frowns on that, also this would leave me with 100% negative feedback.... So either I buy it and use it, or buy it and put it right back up on e-bay.

I end up deciding, I bought it, I might as well use it.

So I just get frustrated with this, especially since I cannot find any other weighted midi keyboards in Canada on eBay. I eventually find a weighted midi keyboard in California... It's a bit more expensive, but what the hell I have a synthesis module that can generate 214 different types of drums, I am in this deep, I might as well keep digging.

But, California is a loong way, shipping is probably too expensive, I tell myself that as long as shipping is under $100 I will go for it, and worry about customs after the fact. The seller tells me that shipping is $90, Sold, I use the buy it now option, it is only $20 more dollars than the minimum bid. That way I don't have to worry about anyone over bidding me, I also don't have to worry about the price going too high.

Whew, alright, everything is done.
So some time next week (hopefully the keyboard hits me next week) I am going to have to try and plug all this in, I am fairly certain I will need to buy (or make) cables, I don't think I will be getting any.

Well that's my first e-bay purchase. I don't think I want to tally up all these costs... I don't want to go into a store and see a weighted (88 key) electonic keyboard for less than what I paid...... Ignorance is bliss.

ps. Sorry about the word verification on the comments, I got my first comment spam the other day, so I turned it on.

5 Comments:

At 10/10/2005 1:00 AM, Blogger orangepulpfilms said...

ebay is awesome but sketchy.

 
At 10/10/2005 1:17 AM, Blogger Matt said...

my first random comment, thank you onangepulpfilms

 
At 10/11/2005 9:26 AM, Blogger James said...

ebay truly is come and go. I've bought about 6 diff. items over the years. I know that I've gotten GREAT deals... but other times I've been screwed. Especially when the seller adds 75% markup for 'shipping and handling' when you know all he's really done is cram it into a paper bag.

I've done a little better lately at amazon.ca believe it or now.

 
At 10/11/2005 11:07 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

Amazon is pretty kickass actually with the used portion of the site. I got a James Bond book (reg: $75) for $20 bones. Awww yeah.

What can I say about ebay? The only thing I ever purchased was a Zeppelin box set for $70 instead of $150. Can't complain.

It's interesting to hear that you bought a musical instrument from ebay. I never would have, but that's in terms of guitars. I suppose keyboards are just a piece of electronics so they always sound the same. Coolness! When you get good, come join the band.

 
At 10/11/2005 11:32 AM, Blogger Matt said...

amazon.ca looks great for books, cd's, and computer games.

But, amazon.ca does not sell elecronic pianos or digital cameras, or underwear. like amazon.com does.

lol, I actually thought, what is the weirdest thing I could buy off amazon.com, underwear was the first thing that came to mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home