Thursday, October 20, 2005

A new Matt record 4 posts in one day!!

I came home today to find a UPS truck just about to leave from the front of my house.

I think great, the keyboard stand has arrived ahead of schedule. The keyboard itself was shown stuck at customs this morning, in Windsor. I drive into the driveway. I am pretty sure he realizes that I will take the package now, but to make sure he does not drive away, I get out of the car quickly and walk over to him.

I say hello, and ask if he has anything for me. He is responding something like Yes, or I do, as I peek into the back of the UPS truck, and see a HUUUGE box, with thick metal on all the edges.
Holy #$@ I think, that is no keyboard stand, that is one HUGE keyboard. The UPS tracking form said it was 130lbs, but I figured it just hit some size or weight limit, and they rounded up to a larger weight to give people that are receiving it a heads up that this package might need a dolly or extra space, or some other reason that I had not fathomed.

I have to pay some customs fees COD, with my amex, the UPS guy has one of those cool UPS type machine that lets me pay wirelessly. And I help him carry it to the door. It is definitely 130 lbs. I thank the guy as he takes off, and go back to the car to get my stuff.
After I bring my stuff in I go back out and carry the keyboard in the heavy keyboard (did I meantion it is heavy?).
Once it is inside I realize there is no way I can get this thing downstairs myself, I have to take it out of the case first. So I spend a few minutes ripping tape off the box, lay it down and open it up.
The keyboard is certainly impressive, it almost seems a shame it is wasted on me when I don't even know how to play a single chord yet.

I expected it to come with no cords what-so-ever. I was almost right, it came with a power cord.

Luckily I have one cord that will allow me to plug it in to my stereo system to test, I definitely don't know how to play, but it sure sounds nice.

Palmer do you know a good place to get music cords?

9 Comments:

At 10/20/2005 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10/21/2005 7:34 PM, Blogger Palmer said...

Yep. I'll hook you up.

wait a second. Piano?

No. I only know guitar websites.

however, it's all the same freakin' thing. So if you borrow my book on chords for guitar, you can transpose them to piano. I don't know if any of that made sense. Let me try something different and google 'piano chords'.

Tada! First hit is a good one. Looks Java based.

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/piano/

I cannot believe that sucker is 130lbs. I was thinking it would be cool to jam together. I can see that jamming would only be done at your place. Hope you don't get good enough that you want to go on the raod. You'd need your own van!

Speaking of jamming. I'm off to see Pink Floyd.

 
At 10/21/2005 11:30 PM, Blogger Matt said...

My bad, I am looking for electonic cords.

A 5 pronged cord to plug between the keyboard and the midi sequencer.

Then two mono plugs (I dont know the name for them) they look like oversized earphone jacks.

Anyway, those two mono jacks need to plug into a left and right rca jack.

 
At 10/24/2005 9:28 AM, Blogger Ferda said...

chord(kôrd, krd) n.
1. Music. A combination of three or more pitches sounded simultaneously.
2. Harmony, as of color.

VS

cord (kôrd) n.
1. A slender length of flexible material usually made of twisted strands or fibers and used to bind, tie, connect, or support.
2. An insulated flexible electric wire fitted with a plug or plugs.

from dictionary.com

 
At 10/24/2005 10:11 AM, Blogger Palmer said...

This isn't fair. Matt has been known to be a bad speller.

 
At 10/24/2005 10:14 AM, Blogger Matt said...

I am going to head out for electronic cords today.

Where should I go for cheap cords?

 
At 10/26/2005 10:40 AM, Blogger James said...

OMG. This is the BEST string of comments so far. LOL!

 
At 10/26/2005 10:51 AM, Blogger James said...

radio shack or a specific music store(steve's music).

 
At 10/26/2005 10:54 AM, Blogger Matt said...

I ended up hitting "The Source" (radio shack).
Those cords were NOT cheap.

Ah well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home